adidas to boost charity runners’ fundraising

This April, over 36,000 runners will take to the streets of London with the one aim of completing a gruelling 26.2 miles all in the name of charity. Over 70% of the people who run the world’s number 1 marathon, the Virgin London Marathon, do so for a charitable cause.

This year adidas have launched a unique initiative to help the charity runners with their fundraising. For every runner who crosses the finish line wearing a pair of adidas trainers, £40 will be donated to that runner’s chosen charity.

All a runner needs to do is register at adidas.com/londonmarathon before 31st March and ensure that they have an set up their Virgin Money Giving sponsorship page, and of course not forgetting to run the marathon in adidas trainers to qualify for the donation!

On race day your Timing chip will then be collected separately at the finish line and cross referenced with registered runners. adidas will then donate via the runner’s Virgin Money Giving sponsorship page within 8 weeks.

This is the first incentive of its kind and adidas is proud to be able to support the runners in this way. Robin Money, head of sports marketing at adidas commented, “We are really proud to be launching such a strong charity initiative and to support runners not only with their training and footwear but be able to sponsor their efforts too.”

To create your fundraising page for the Virgin London Marathon click the button below

Start fundraising

Terms and conditions apply, please see adidas.com/londonmarathon for full details.

Update:

Anyone with questions or issues registering with adidas can call their helpline on 0844 351 0584 and a member of the adidas team will be able to register you over the phone.

27 Responses to “adidas to boost charity runners’ fundraising”

1. 1 Scott March 1, 2011 at 3:40 pm

The Registration does not seem to be working. When you enter your email address, it just says ‘enter your email address’, even though you have performed this task already.

This happens no matter what email address you enter.

Please fix.

2. 2 Antony (Virgin Money Giving) March 1, 2011 at 5:39 pm

Hi Scott

Thanks for your comment, and sorry to hear you’re having issues registering.

The offer and registration is by adidas. I’ve let them know that you’ve had a problem and they’re looking into it for you. I’ll come back with more information when I hear from them.

Antony
    Virgin Money Giving

3. 3 jonathon errington March 7, 2011 at 12:40 am

Also having problems trying to regisiter on the Adidas london website

4. 4 Antony (Virgin Money Giving) March 7, 2011 at 8:56 am

Hi Jonathon,

Sorry to hear you’re having issues registering with adidas. Can you check to make sure you’re using the same email address you used when you registered your place in the 2011 Virgin London Marathon.

If you’re still having an issue let us know and we’ll get in touch with adidas for you.

Antony
    Virgin Money Giving

5. 5 jonathon errington March 7, 2011 at 10:46 pm

hello antony
    I didnt need to register as had GFA place so no email address registered with 2011 Virgin London Marathon

6. 6 Antony (Virgin Money Giving) March 8, 2011 at 10:04 am

Hi Jonathon

I’ve got in touch with adidas for you, and will let you know what I hear back.

Antony
    Virgin Money Giving

7. 7 John Payne March 9, 2011 at 12:41 am

Hi. I have the exact same problem – entry via Good For Age. I can’t get the offer registration form to work either :(

8. 8 Antony (Virgin Money Giving) March 9, 2011 at 6:31 pm

Hi John

I’ve asked adidas to take a look for you to see why you’re having issues registering with them.

Antony
    Virgin Money Giving

9. 9 Bob March 10, 2011 at 8:45 am

This still doesn’t appear to work. Same problem as listed by others. Wont accept the email that is entered and therefore not allowing registration.

are Adidas planning to fix this before they close the offer?

10. 10 Adam Kidd March 11, 2011 at 1:07 pm

I’m running the Brighton Marathon on April the 10th. It’s a shame adidas is only doing this for people running in London – they’ve had £85 off me for a decent pare of running shoes (but I guess without those I’d still be suffering from dibilitating runners knee)!!

11. 11 John Payne March 13, 2011 at 3:42 pm

Looks like Adidas have fixed their application form as it’s just let me apply where before it was refusing to accept my email address and then my DOB as well! Give it a go :)

Hopefully they’ll send me confirmation that it’s been accepted.

12. 12 Antony (Virgin Money Giving) March 14, 2011 at 6:22 pm

Hi Bob/John

As you might have noticed following your feedback here adidas have made some changes to their registration page so you should now be able to sign up.

Let us know if you have any more issues and we’ll pass the details on.

Best of luck with the Virgin London Marathon!

Antony
    Virgin Money Giving

13. 13 Jonathon Errington March 16, 2011 at 11:10 pm

Hi Anthony have you heard anything back from Adidas reference me being able to apply as I am still unable to register

thanks

Jon

14. 14 Antony (Virgin Money Giving) March 17, 2011 at 12:58 pm

Hi Jonathon

Can you call adidas on their helpline – 0844 3510584 and they’ll register you over the phone for you.

Antony
    Virgin Money Giving

15. 15 Paul Gaskell March 18, 2011 at 11:44 am

Just to say – this problem happened for me too today (18/03). I was a GFA entry too, and so probably don’t have an email address attached to my record in the database. Whatever general changes have been made don’t appear to have worked.

To be fair – after I found this thread here, I called the number in Antony’s message above, and it was fixed for me straight away – but this shouldn’t have been necessary, and I’ll bet an awful lot of people drop out of the £40 offer once it doesn’t work for them and there’s no obvious next course of action.

I suggest adidas, if they’re serious about wanting to give away the maximum number of £40 donations (!?) at least add a message to the registration page to call the help line.

16. 16 Antony (Virgin Money Giving) March 18, 2011 at 11:50 am

Hi Paul

Thanks for your feedback, sorry to hear you’ve had issues with the adidas registration process.

I’ll forward your feedback onto adidas so they’re aware, and I’m glad to hear you were able to get registered

Antony
    Virgin Money Giving

17. 17 john harris April 22, 2011 at 11:10 am

I completed the marathon wearing adidas trainers but have not recieved £40 for the charity so just wondered how long it will take?

18. 18 Antony (Virgin Money Giving) April 22, 2011 at 3:01 pm

Hi John

Our friends at adidas need to confirm who finished the race, and which runners were wearing adidas trainers. Once they’ve done this they’ll start making donations to fundraising pages.

When we get an update from them that they’re starting to make donations we’ll update the blog. Congratulations on finishing the 2011 Virgin London Marathon

Antony
    Virgin Money Giving

19. 19 Emily Ault May 18, 2011 at 4:53 pm

Hi, I have still not received the £40 from adidas, my fundraising page has now closed, do I need to chase it up or are we still waiting for them to make the donations? Will they be able to do this if my page is closed?

20. 20 Antony (Virgin Money Giving) May 23, 2011 at 4:04 pm

Hi Emily

We understand the donations from adidas will start appearing on pages this week, and everyone should have received their donation by Friday.

You will need to re-open your page so your donation can be made. You can do this by signing into your account and re-activating the page.

Hope that helps

Antony
    Virgin Money GIving

21. 21 Ruth May 30, 2011 at 10:47 pm

Hello,
    The £40 from Adidas has still not appeared on my Virgin money giving page – are they still being processed, or could they have paid it directly to my chosen charity?

22. 22 Dean Robinson May 31, 2011 at 10:40 am

Hi, I have still not received the £40 from adidas, my fundraising page is still open. Is there someone/where you can check if you are still pending the donation?

23. 23 Antony (Virgin Money Giving) May 31, 2011 at 12:45 pm

Hi Dean and Ruth

adidas are currently allocating their donations to Virgin Money Giving fundraising pages. We understand they should all be complete by Friday this week.

Antony
    Virgin Money Giving

24. 24 Paul Gaskell June 6, 2011 at 11:37 am

Still nothing through at my VMG fundraising page.

Anyone received their £40 yet?

25. 25 Richard Keene June 7, 2011 at 8:36 am

I haven’t yet received, and have been checking because I need to submit final total to my employer soon for company matching. It would be a shame for Adidas’ contribution not to get matched.

26. 26 Antony (Virgin Money Giving) June 7, 2011 at 11:14 am

Hi Richard

We understand adidas are still working through the donations. It should appear on your page shortly.

Antony
    Virgin Money Giving

27. 27 Ruth June 7, 2011 at 8:21 pm

Hello, I can confirm that Adidas donated £40 to my fundraising page on 31.5.2011.

Comments are currently closed.

Blog categories

Enter your email address to subscribe to the Virgin Money Giving blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Join 903 other followers

Quick Links

Find us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Subscribe to our RSS feed Watch Youtube Videos Watch Vimeo Videos Our photos on Flickr

Latest Tweets